Tom Hudson’s centennial history of the Lake Elsinore Valley highlights the founding of ALBERHILL in 1886 as “Two men, prospecting in the upper portion of Temescal Canyon a few miles northwest of Lake Elsinore, found a vein of coal and quantities of nearby clay.”
The community established by these enterprising men—C. H. Albers and J.H. Hill—got its name as a result of their partnership: ALBERHILL.
Hudson writes, “The abundance of…coal and clay quickly established Alberhill as the most important industrial center [of the] Lake Elsinore Valley, and its clay products have played an important role in the building of many California cities,” including the historical campus of UCLA.
Education was just as important to the Alberhill founders as their industries. On Lake Street, to the northwest, is the original Alberhill School, whose brick walls and wooden desks served the children of that community, from 1912 to 1964.
The Alberhill legacy brought prosperity and industry to the Lake Elsinore Valley. The legacy continues with the opening of Alberhill Elementary School in 2020.